Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Mystery that is King Tyrus

After yesterday's reassuring thoughts from David Thorpe (thanks for the transcription, Matt), I came in to yesterday's game hoping to get a timely reminder of how the coaching staff is misusing Tyrus. But, as has happened many times this season, Tyrus had a frustrating game (yes, Noc was far worse and infuriating and I would be happy to see Red Bull(shit) get traded. But I digress.).

Tyrus passes the ball not just "poorly" but aggressively poorly. Does anyone else notice this? It's gotten to the point now where it looks like he's using passing opportunities, especially on fast breaks, to take out his aggression on his teammates. I've seen a lot of quick, one-handed passes from him this year that look almost like he's saying, "You want me to be a team player, Boylan/Skiles? I'll show you how much of a team player I can be." And then when his teammates don't catch his wild passes, he can say to Baggy-eyed Wonder "I'm just trying to help the team." Thorpe insists T double is happy as can be behind the scenes but I see it like this:

Ty knows he has way more raw talent than just about anyone on this team, save B Jizzle, and his emergence last season allowed his ego to inflate to its appropriate size. But this season, after he fell out of the rotation in such a profound way, I can't believe he's satisfied. And so his "passive" aggression becomes his subtle way of forcing the issue that either a)this team team needs to run more plays for him or b) he needs to be traded.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mind-reading? Did this solve the riddle of Tyrus? I'm confused. Besides he only has 15 passing TO's all year. He has an assist to bad pass ration of 2.8:1 which is comparable to Joe Smith and Noah. He's not that bad of a passer... if not an ugly one.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Hot Shit College Student said...

I've gotta say Thomas is a decent passer.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta say he's an above-average passer. Especially into the post. Yeah he botched a couple on the fast break, but for a big man he's pretty good.

10:43 AM  
Blogger DengDengShotYouDown said...

Ok, maybe my incisive mind-reading skills cannot be backed up by the stats. Keep in mind, tho, I'm not saying he lacks the vision to pass (I think he sees the court as well as any of our big men, save the Corpse [his one skill that hasn't died]), it just honestly looks to me like he's purposely throwing difficult passes for his teammates to get to. Anyone even notice this?

11:35 AM  
Blogger BenGo07 said...

I've never noticed it, but after the combined 0 for 17 start to the first quarter against Minnesota, I can't say I watched the rest of that game too closely.

In the past, I always thought that quite a few of Ty's "bad" passes were where his teammates should be, if they knew how to correctly run the court toward the rim, as opposed to, say, hanging around the 3-pt. line in transition. (Cough, Noce, cough, cough.) If you think Ty's frustrated, it might be more over that, than at any lack of playing time. (Although God knows, he has plenty of reason to be pissed at that as well.)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...




I really like it when folks get together and share opinions
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/rat-control-companies-5.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/rat-control-companies-4.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/rat-control-companies-3.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/rat-control-companies-2.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/rat-control-companies.html






5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home