Thursday, June 28, 2007

On Noah

I've already had my say about Joakim Noah, but if you're too lazy to click on the link, yes, I like the pick. I'm not sure what there could possibly be to complain about: There were only two legitimate low-post scoring threats in this draft (not counting Durant, who can score from anywhere, at anytime) and they were gone in the first three picks. So you pick up a guy who should be coming into his own at just about the time Ben Wallace is leaving out of his. If he can come in and play 15-20 minutes a game, that should allow you to rest Wallace and keep him healthy come playoff time. He also runs the court better than Wallace and can play above the rim on the offensive end. (For Big Ben, those days are over, hence all of his dipsy-doo, finger-rolling layup attempts.) Obviously, he's not going to give you the defense or the (possibility of) absolutely dominating rebounding like Big Ben, but he's no slouch in those areas and will certainly be better than Yi and/or Hawes on that count. Finally, when all is said and done, the Bulls needed to trade to get low post scoring coming into this draft. They might still need to trade to get low post scoring coming out of this draft, but now they have one more intriguing piece with which to bargain. That's very important.

UPDATE: Picked up Aaron Gray and JamesOn Curry in the 2nd. Seems like two wasted picks to me, particularly since my man Taurean Green was still out there. I know the Bulls were high on Curry, but I don't know why. Any guesses?

SECOND UPDATE: Seriously, how can you not like Joakim Noah?

4 Comments:

Blogger BenGo07 said...

Just realized there's the possiblity of a cheesy double entendre with me saying "the Bulls are high on Curry." It wasn't intended. I smoked enough weed in my day and dealt with enough dealers (most of whom were very cool) for me to know there's nothing more idiotic than wagging some moralist's finger at an 18-year-old kid for dealing some krill. I don't like the pick because we already have an undersized shooting guard who can fill it, not becuase I have any concerns about JamesOn's "character," as if that were any of my business in the first place.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Gray and Curry picks.

Curry will takes Du's spot and he can fill it up, a bunch games with 30+ last year. Gray is a bit of a stiff, but he'll take Fatney's spot.

Both will make $700K or so, opening up some cash for a free agent signing.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Big Sweet said...

I like the Gray pick better than JamesOn, although I think JamesOn is more fun to watch and has a killer name spelling. Gray is pretty good down low, has lots of experience and I think Skiles (and Noah, and Ty, and Kirk etc) can get him to play hard on every play. He's already an upgrade over Sweet and Malik, as you guys point out. I see him making the squad.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I heard James OnCurry pick was just a marketing move. Did you see that moustache? Girls will be all over united center this year to see Curry moustache and, of course, Noah sense of style...

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home