Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Road Easiest Traveled

After tonight's game against the Pistons---and I suppose I should thank Rip, for teaching me that I can in fact hate that team even more---it seems to me the most propitious seeding configuration in the East for the Bulls would actually go something like this:

1) Detroit
2) Cleveland
3) Miami
4) Toronto
5) Bulls

My logic? I think playing with home court advantage against Toronto without Bargnani is as easy a first round matchup as Orlando (Dwight Howard scares me) and easier than New Jersey (Jason Kidd terrifies me). I think the easiest team to beat would be the Butler-less Wizards, but they seem locked into the 6 seed and it looks like it's either 2nd or 5th for the Bulls. But say they get the 2nd seed and knock off either Orlando or New Jersey; the next round's opponent would likely be the Heat. It's true the Bulls would have homecourt in such a scenario, but after tonight's game, I'd prefer our odds against the Pistons even without homecourt advantage over going up against a veteran Heat team that is a) really starting to jell and b) about to throw a freshly rested D-Wade back into the mix.

I guess it's possible Miami may not pass Toronto, in which case, this would be the ideal configuration:

1) Detroit
2) Bulls
3) Toronto
4) Miami
5) Cavs
6) Wiz
7) New Jersey/Orlando
8) New Jersey/Orlando

Actually, now that I think about it, this is probably the consummation devoutly to be wished. Like I said, I fear New Jersey, but this scenario would mean the Bulls would only have to face one of the three best teams in the East---Miami, Detroit or Cleveland---on their way to the Finals, and there'd be a decent chance of them having homecourt advantage in the Conference Finals (should they face either Miami or the Cavs). Yes Bulls fans, this is the scenario to cheer for. If we get stuck playing the Heat in the 1st Round, that's going to really suck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Sweet said...

When I attempted to slot them earlier in the week, I kept the Heat at 4, which would make the 5 seed horrifically wretched. I'd rather we take care of business and not have to worry about Miami and Toronto jockeying for position, earn that second spot and fuck up Rip in the conference finals.

12:23 AM  
Blogger BenGo07 said...

I could've boiled down my post to this: I think Miami, not the Pistons, is the team to avoid at all costs. If they're the 3 seed, it's better for the Bulls to be the 5th and let the Cavs deal with them in the 2nd round. If they finish 4th, then the Bulls MUST get the 2nd seed.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home