Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Return of the Repressed

That's how I'm willing to write off what was, if not the worst loss of the season, certainly the ugliest.

But if your best scorer gets 48 one game, he's almost certain to struggle in the next. (Just ask Michael Redd: He went 3 of 15 after torching us.) If you beat the defending champs by 42 on opening night, you're almost certain to get your ass kicked by 30 later in the season. If your most hated opposing player got thrown out the last time you met, he's almost certain to appear to break an NBA record for charges taken in a half the next time you meet. (By the way, Posey's a free agent next year: I'm not sure if we can afford him, but I think he'd be interesting coming off our bench. Thoughts?)

The fact remains, if we beat Orlando tomorrow night (and Lord knows, we've been repressed against them), this loss doesn't matter much. And after that, we've got four consecutive games against the three worst teams in the league. (I know, I know, Philly's won five in a row and Boston's playing better. We should still kill them.)

All in all, this stretch is still the Bulls' time to make their move. They can't allow this ugly loss to change that.

UPDATE: Matt has the box scores of our Big Three up at his place. It's even worse than I thought. Hinrich's assist to turnover ratio? One to SIX!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Sweet said...

As much as I agree with you, I feel like we keep rationalizing these losses. This team is too talented for these type of efforts.

12:32 AM  
Blogger BenGo07 said...

Enh. Pretty much every team has a bad night now and then. I mean, this loss was REALLY ugly, anomalously so. Deng called it his worst game of the season, Hinrich handled the ball like he thought it was an apple and he wanted to make turnovers, and Ben was bricking wide-open looks. The whole thing was just uncanny.

So long as we split on the trip, I can overlook this. If not...well, it's not like I'm going to stop watching them, but my playoff expectations will diminish somewhat.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home