Wednesday, February 14, 2007

He's On Fire!

Tough loss, and to be honest, I don't really want to discuss it much, particularly the fourth quarter, of which I will only say that now I know what it would be like to get cancer, go through months and months of excruciating chemotherapy, finally get the good news from your doctor that you've beaten it, and then, when you step outside, you look up and notice a clear blue sky and your soul opens up and you just feel nothing but utter gratitude that you'll be able to just simply enjoy and appreciate the color blue, but then WHAM a bus comes along and slams into you, and in your last fleeting moments of consciousness, bleeding and splayed over the asphalt, you see that, lo and behold, who's driving the bus but George W. Bush, with that stupid, self-satisfied monkey smirk on his face, and he's wearing a referee jersey and moronically intoning: "I'm the decider! I'm the decider!"

But like I said, I don't want to talk about that. What concerns me more was the third quarter, when the Bulls got themselves back in the game through the clutch shooting of Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. Both of those guys were, at that point, on fire, leading the Bulls from a 8 or 10 point deficit to, I think, a 3 point lead. Toronto calls timeout and hits a three (one of their 11!) and then the Bulls go on offense, and thus starts a string of five or six trips down the floor when Ben Wallace or Malik Allen take all of our shots. I'm not even saying they were bad shots--normally, when Malik's got an open jumper at the top of the key, I'm all for him taking them--but Gordon and Deng were lights out at that point. How can you not keep going to those guys when they're REALLY feelling it?

People keep saying we don't have a go-to guy, and who knows? maybe they're right, but shouldn't we at least keep going to Ben and Luol in order to find out?

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Sweet said...

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Malik Allen looks like he belongs in a Men's 40+ league at the local Y more than any player in the NBA. Too bad he acted like the chucker nobody wants to play with instead of the friendly guy who voluntarily sits out when the team has more than five players. Sounds like a frustrating game to watch; from what I've read, it seems like it was a good night for WGN/ESPN/TNT to pass on the broadcast.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home